This deliciously tangy salsa verde-stewed chicken gets served over sweet strands of spaghetti squash, a vitamin-rich and lower-calorie alternative to the usual rice or tortilla.
These healthy recipes are all created to pair with wine (a 5-ounce glass has anywhere from 110 to 150 calories)—all for 600 calories or fewer.
This deliciously tangy salsa verde-stewed chicken gets served over sweet strands of spaghetti squash, a vitamin-rich and lower-calorie alternative to the usual rice or tortilla. A citrusy New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc has enough mouthwatering acidity to pair with the bright salsa and is a great match for the green flavors in the dish.
Tomatillo Chicken Stew with Spaghetti Squash
Active: 30 MIN; Total: 1 HR
One 2 pound spaghetti squash, halved and seeds discarded
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
1/2 large onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 jalapeño, halved, seeded and minced
3/4 pounds tomatillo, cut into 1-inch dice
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
Thinly sliced radish and cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. On a baking sheet, brush the cut sides of the squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the squash, cut sides down, for 35 to 40 minutes, until very tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a deep skillet heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add half of the chicken to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until nicely browned all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer the browned thighs to a plate. Add the remaining chicken and cook, then transfer to the plate.
3. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened and just starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the cumin and jalapeño and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatillos and stock or water and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatillos are broken down and saucy, about 5 minutes.
4. Nestle the chicken in the salsa verde and cover the skillet. Braise the chicken over moderately low heat until the meat is cooked through and just starts to pull apart with a fork, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl. Using 2 forks or your fingers, pull the meat into large chunks and return it to the salsa verde.
5. Using a fork, rake the warm spaghetti squash flesh into shreds and transfer it to bowls. Spoon the chicken stew on top, garnish with sliced radish and cilantro leaves and serve.
Make Ahead The chicken stew and roasted spaghetti squash can be refrigerated separately for up to 2 days. Reheat both gently.
Wine A citrusy New Zealand white like the 2013 Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc.
One Serving 330 cal, 19 gm fat, 3.6 gm sat fat, 20 gm carb, 4 gm fiber, 31 gm protein.
Kristin Donnelly is a former mkgallery editor and cofounder of , an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.